The i2P magazine is distributed by email on a monthly basis. Subscription is free and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Dr Andrew Byrne & Associates
A Harm-Minimisation Research Perspective
Dr Byrne (and his associates) advocate for better policies which are proven to reduce risks for drug users and the general community under a framework in parallel with Australia’s official policy of harm minimization. The findings of the New South Wales Drug Summit recommend better access to methadone, detoxification and other dependency treatments. It also advised investigating alternative services such as supervised injecting centres, leading to the opening of the Sydney Medically Supervised Injecting Centre in 2001.
Dr Andrew Byrne has been involved in opioid treatments from a primary care background for 20 years at the same site in Redfern, an inner suburb of Sydney. He is recognised worldwide as a specialist in the addiction field and was involved in the seminal stages of the Chapter of Addiction Medicine, Royal Australasian College of Physicians. He received the Dole-Nyswander award from the American Association for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence in April 2006.
- Issue 82: May 2009 - First Do No Harm ... Reduction? Annals of Internal Medicine 2009 150;6 (Annals on line, pre-publication March 17) Gourevitch MN.
- Issue 81: April 2009 - Lack of Reduction in Buprenorphine Injection After Introduction of Co-Formulated Buprenorphine/Naloxone to the Malaysian Market. Bruce RD, Govindasamy S, Sylla L, Kamarulzaman A, Altice FL. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 2009 Feb 12:1
- Issue 79: February 2009 - Rats alive! Alcohol Reductions Possible with Adequate Buprenorphine Doses.
- Issue 78: December 2008 - Failure of Naltrexone Implant Reported From Russia
- Issue 77: November 2008 - More alarmist speculation on QT ‘problems’ yet still no incidence of actual complications. Smoke and mirrors.
- Issue 76: October 2008 - Methadone Works in American Prisoners who are Addicted - No Surprise.
- Issue 75: September 2008 - Concord Dependency Seminar Tuesday 22nd July 2008 - Adult ADHD & Substance Use Disorders – Dr Julian Trollor
- Issue 74: August 2008 - Concord Seminar Summary: Practising in Addiction Medicine - How not to be Sued
- Issue 73: July 2008 - Pinto H, Rumball D, Maskrey V, Holland R. A pilot study for a randomized controlled and patient preference trial of buprenorphine versus methadone maintenance treatment in the management of opiate dependent patients
- Issue 72: June 2008 - QT-Interval Effects of Methadone, Levomethadyl, and Buprenorphine in a Randomized Trial. Wedam EF, Bigelow GE, Johnson RE, Nuzzo PA, Haigney MCP.
- Issue 71: May 2008 - Editorial questions the ethics of naltrexone implants until they are proven and registered
- Issue 70: April 2008 - Comparison of Maintenance Treatments in UK, Victoria and NSW - Drug Dilution, Crushing, Take-Aways: the practice versus the evidence
- Issue 69: March 2008 - Hall and Degenhardt on Opioid Prescribing Regulations: Researchers Suggest More Research!
- Issue 68: February 2008 - Editorial questions the ethics of naltrexone implants until they are proven and registered -- Degenhardt L, Gibson A, Mattick RP, Hall W. Drug and Alcohol Review 2008 27;1:1-3
- Issue 67: December 2007 - Alcoholic Monkeys - ‘Antagonists’ Fail Opiate and Cocaine Users (Again) - Methadone Success in US Prisoners - Buprenorphine/Benzo Interactions and Hep C.
- Issue 66: November 2007 - Tobacco Associated with new Mental Illness in Prospective Study
- Issue 65: October 2007 - The impact of community pharmacy dispensing fees on the introduction of buprenorphine - naloxone in Australia. Winstock AR, Lea T, Ritter A. Drug Alc Review 2007 26;4:411-416
- Issue 64: September 2007 - Failure of a Naltrexone Implant Reported From Russia
- Issue 63: August 2007 - The Interpretation of Urine Toxicology in Dependency Treatment. Principals and Pitfalls
- Issue 62: July 2007 - Pharmacists' Impressions of Buprenorphine Treatment in Victoria. Some Benefits, Some Difficulties.
- Issue 59: April 2007 - China: Eye-opening Activity and Impressive Progress.
- Issue 58: March 2007 - Cairns APSAD Conference 2006 Summary: Day Three - Wednesday 8th November 2006
- Issue 57: February 2007 - Cairns APSAD Conference 2006 Summary: Day Two - Tuesday 7th November 2006
- Issue 56: December 2006 - APSAD Annual Scientific Conference at Cairns - Mon 6th November 2006
- Issue 55: November 2006 - Work-Related Alcohol and Drug Use - A National Forum (Second Report)
- Issue 54: October 2006 - Work-Related Alcohol and Drug Use - A National Forum.
- Issue 53: September 2006 - Some Observations and Statistics From the Sydney Injecting Centre